Since our family began eating paleo I have been on the lookout for a good pancake recipe. Grain free pancakes can be pretty tricky, it seems they always fall apart or are dry, or are just not right. After experimenting with more recipes than I care to think of, I have finally come up with my own Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free version of Banana Pancakes! This also works great for the GAPS diet, think of it as GAPS Coconut Flour Banana Pancakes too!
Before we get started there are a few things I want to note. As with most gluten free baking/cooking you need to do things a little differently than you may be used to. Cooking and baking without gluten really is a totally new way of preparing food. So here are a few tips for preparing pancakes without gluten:
- The batter will not look exactly like you are used to with a "traditional" pancake recipe.
- It is important to let the batter sit for about 5 minutes after mixing all of your ingredients
- If you want to add fruit other than bananas, such as blueberries, opt for a dried version. (Too much water from the berries tends to play too much with the batter consistency.)
- Be sure to use enough oil in your pan/griddle and do not be afraid to re-oil between pancakes if needed. (Just let the oil heat up again.)
- Make silver dollar sized pancakes, they are much easier to flip.
- A longer cooking time is crucial If you try to flip a gluten free pancake when it first starts to bubble in the center, as you would with a "traditional" pancake recipe, it will fall apart. You want the pancake to nearly cook through before flipping.
Okay, now onto the yummy stuff!
Yields: 8 silver dollar sized pancakes;
Nutrition Facts are listed above (Per Pancake)
Paleo Coconut Flour Banana Pancakes
1/2 Cup Mashed Banana
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Honey (Or 1 Tablespoon Agave if you prefer)
2 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
Add Ins (Optional): Dried blueberries, walnuts, or coconut flakes
Heat pan or griddle with coconut oil to Medium/High Heat
Begin by whisking 3 eggs in a large bowl.
Mix in mashed banana (Some small pieces are desired), Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Honey (Or Agave)
Let sit for about 5 minutes. The allows the coconut flour to thicken the batter.
Pour batter onto pan or griddle (silver dollar size)
Let cook on the first side for about 4-6 minutes depending on the heat level. They will begin to bubble at about 2 minutes but don't get impatient and flip them ;)
No, not time yet.....
Okay, they should start to look as if the top side is nearly done cooking. You can tell it is the right time when the top takes on more of a matte look and no longer looks like raw batter. (See below Image)
At this point they are ready to be flipped.
And there you have it, yummy healthy pancakes!
Top with Maple Syrup, Honey, Agave, Butter, Fruit, or whatever you like.